The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 26 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 16 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 16 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1952 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1952 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 629 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(732) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 732 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7162 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 7162 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 844 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 406 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1070 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 474 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 741 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 746 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 7162 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(474) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 741 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 746 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code 4 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1168 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "threadprefix" - Line: 4 - File: showthread.php(1168) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1506 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1506 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1533 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $addremovesubscription - Line: 79 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 79 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 86 - File: showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1533) : eval()'d code 86 errorHandler->error

Guest Join UsHey Guest,
Welcome, Join our awesome community where you can discuss on various topics :-
Some point about your community
Much More.. or Create an Account

{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Peace CEO, Allen Onyema indicted for alleged $20m fraud and money laundering in t
Air Peace CEO, Allen Onyema indicted for alleged $20m fraud and money laundering in the United States

[Image: 5dd8b2fba4e3a.jpg]

Allen Ifechukwu Athan Onyema, the Chairman and CEO of Air Peace has been indicted over an alleged bank fraud and money laundering scheme. 

The Airline owner was accused of moving more than $20 million from Nigeria through United States bank accounts in a scheme involving false documents based on the purchase of airplanes.

Quote:“Onyema allegedly leveraged his status as a prominent business leader and airline executive while using falsified documents to commit fraud,” said U.S. Attorney Byung J. “BJay” Pak.  “We will diligently protect the integrity our banking system from being corrupted by criminals, even when they disguise themselves in a cloak of international business.”

Air Peace's Chief of Administration and Finance, Ejiroghene Eghagha was also linked to the alleged fraudulent scheme and was charged with bank fraud and committing aggravated identity theft. 

Quote:Robert J. Murphy, the Special Agent in Charge of the DEA Atlanta Field Division commented on the indictment, “Allen Onyema’s status as a wealthy businessman turned out to be a fraud. He corrupted the U.S. banking system, but his trail of deceit and trickery came to a skidding halt. DEA would like to thank the many law enforcement partners and the subsequent prosecution by the U.S. Attorney’s Office who aided in making this investigation a success.”
“This case is a prime example of why IRS-CI seeks to partner and leverage its expertise in an effort to thwart those seeking to exploit our nation’s financial system,” said Thomas J. Holloman, IRS-Criminal Investigation Special Agent in Charge of the Atlanta Field Office. “With the importance of our banking system to the movement of money around the world, those attempting to use intricate schemes to commit bank fraud through the use of falsified documents and other means should know that the odds are now heavily stacked against them as law enforcement is combining its talents to protect the sanctity and integrity of the nation’s financial system.”
“Onyema setup various innocent sounding multi-million dollar asset purchases which were nothing more than alleged fronts for his scam,” said acting Special Agent in Charge Robert Hammer, who oversees HSI operations in Georgia and Alabama. “I’m proud to be part of a team of law enforcement agencies that come together to identify and attack criminals that attempt to profit from the exploitation of our nation’s financial systems.”

It was gathered that Onyema began a frequent trip to Atlanta in United States in 2010 and reportedly opened several personal and business bank accounts. Between 2010 and 2018, over $44.9 million was allegedly transferred into his Atlanta-based accounts from foreign sources.

In the statement released by the U.S. Attorney’s Office of Northern District of Georgia, the Nigerian businessman was accused of purchasing five separate Boeing 737 passenger planes by using a series of export letters of credit to cause banks to transfer more than $20 million into his Atlanta-based bank accounts. 

The supporting documents were allegedly fake and reportedly from Springfield Aviation Company LLC which is owned by Onyema and managed by a person with no connection to the aviation business. It was found that Springfield Aviation Company LLC never owned the aircraft it claimed to be buying. The company that allegedly drafted the appraisals also does not exist. 

Onyema and Eghagha were indicted on November 19, 2019 on one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud, three counts of bank fraud, one count of conspiracy to commit credit application fraud, and three counts of credit application fraud.

Additionally, Onyema was charged with 27 counts of money laundering while Eghagha was charged with one count of aggravated identity theft.
[Image: icon_share.png]
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Onyema Denies US Fraud Allegations, Says All Money Transferred Went Through CBN

AirPeace CEO Allen Onyema, has denied all fraud allegations by the USAZ, stating that they are false and are in no way in line with his character as a person and as a business man whose only aim has been to build Nigeria and improve wellbeing.

“As the press statement clearly stated, these are indictment that only contains charges. I am innocent of all charges and the US government will find no dirt on me because I have never conducted business with any illegalities.

“Be rest assured that I also have my lawyers on this and these mere allegations will be refuted. I never laundered money in my life, neither have I committed bank fraud anywhere in the world. Every Kobo I transferred to the US for aircraft purchase went through the Central Bank of Nigeria LC regime and all were used for the same purpose.

“The American companies that received the funds are still in business. I never took a penny from any US bank or Nigerian bank. I am willing to defend my innocence in the US courts,” Onyema stated.

The US Attorneys office in Georgia had alleged that the Chairman, CEO, and founder of Air Peace, a Nigerian airline, has been involved with bank fraud and money laundering for moving more than $20 million from Nigeria through United States bank accounts in a scheme allegedly involving false documents based on the purchase of airplanes.

https://businessday.ng/news/article/onyema-denies-us-fraud-allegations-says-all-money-transferred-went-through-cbn/

[Image: 10616259_allenonyema680x430_jpegfcea1642...bf5af4bbb7]
Quote:

Allen Onyema: U.S. Seizes $14 Million In Bank Accounts Linked To Air Peace Boss

The United States authorities have frozen about $14.2 million in bank accounts linked to companies registered by Allen Onyema, the chairman of Air Peace Limited.

Mr Onyema and Ejiroghene Eghagha, Air Peace’s head of finance and administration, were recently indicted for alleged money laundering and bank fraud in the United States.

Both suspects strongly deny the allegations and said they looked forward to proving their innocence in court.

The charges were first made public by the United States Department of Justice on Friday night. Shortly after the announcement, PREMIUM TIMES exclusively obtained the full detail of Mr Onyema’s indictment, which was not made public by the U.S. Department of Justice.

The charges said Mr Onyema used several companies he set up in the U.S. to launder funds and commit bank fraud through issuance of counterfeit letters of credit.

Some of the companies’ bank accounts in the U.S. and Canada had been frozen with their substantial balances as part of the investigation, court documents showed.

The documents showed that $4,017,852.51 was seized from JP Morgan Chase Bank account number ending in 5512 held in the name of Springfield Aviation Company, LLC.

Another $4,593,842.05 held in Bank of Montreal with account number ending 7523 in the name of Springfield Aviation Inc. was also seized.

American government also traced and seized $5,634,842.04 held in Bank of Montreal with account number ending in 515 in the name of Bluestream Aero Services, Inc.

American law enforcement authorities indicated in the charge document that efforts had commenced to secure final forfeitures of the funds.

Mr Onyema did not return PREMIUM TIMES’ calls and text messages seeking comments about the seizures.

In an earlier statement Saturday, Mr Onyema said he was innocent.

“As the press statement clearly stated, these are indictment (sic) that only contains charges,” the statement said.

“I am innocent of all charges and the US government will find no dirt on me because I have never conducted business with any illegalities.

“Be rest assured that I also have my lawyers on this and these mere allegations will be refuted. I never laundered money in my life, neither have I committed bank fraud anywhere in the world. Every Kobo I transferred to the US for aircraft purchase went through the Central Bank of Nigeria LC regime and all were used for the same purpose.

“The American companies that received the funds are still in business. I never took a penny from any US bank or Nigerian bank. I am willing to defend my innocence

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/364787-alleged-fraud-u-s-seizes-14-million-in-bank-accounts-linked-to-allen-onyema.html

[Image: 10617657_allenonyema_jpege70b138aa8af532...a6ba30c608]

Allen Onyema: Arewa, Ohanaeze, Yoruba, Ijaw youths reveal those trying to bring down Air Peace owner

November 23, 

[Image: Allen-Onyema-e1542475486944.jpg]

The Nigerian Ethnic Nationality Youth Leaders Forum (NENYLF) on Saturday, revealed that it is Allen Onyema’s business competitors that are collaborating with some US officials to bring the Nigerian businessman down.
The youth groups warned that nothing must happen to the embattled Onyema and his Peace Airline.

The coalition accused business rivals of Onyeama of collaborating with some people in the United States government to harass the businessman who they described as one of the finest in Nigeria.

The coalition consists the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF), the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide, the Yoruba Council of Youths Worldwide and the Ijaw Council Worldwide.

Their position was contained in a joint statement signed by their various Presidents, Yerima Shettima, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, Aremo Oladotun Hassan, and Barrister Pereotubo Oweilaemi, respectively, and made available to DAILY POST on Saturday.

They said that they would no longer fold their arms and watch individuals with passion to rescue Nigeria brought down through allegations like the one currently being suffered by Onyeama who had, for long, done business with the US.

Read the full statement below:
We have been following with keen interest the conflicting narratives coming out of the United States regarding the purported indictment of Nigeria’s philanthropist, Mr. Allen Ifechukwu Athan Onyeama.

As law-abiding citizens, we recognize the involvement of the US Court and would not want to take a prejudicial stand on the matter. But much as we appreciate the involvement of Judiciary, we feel there is compelling reason to question this sudden, purported indictment of a Nigerian who has been doing business for decades in the US and he has never been found wanting until now. This raises fundamental questions about the bad timing and the growing suspicion of many Nigerians over the motive behind targeting our son of the soil.

We are beginning to see a pattern that smacks of conspiracy by his business rivals in Nigeria, working together with their American collaborators to rubbish one of the few outstanding philanthropists in Nigeria.

Onyeama has, since built the reputation of a peace promoter who brokered peace between the late President Yaradua-led Federal Government and militants of the Niger-Delta using his well-known platform of peace and reconciliation.

Beyond Niger-Delta, Onyeama has left his footprint as a man dedicated to the service of Nigerians in difficult situations, using his hard-earned income.

It was the same Onyeama who worked tirelessly to broker peace between the Coalition of Northern Groups and Igbos when it culminated into the quit notice issued all Igbo residents in the North. 

Working closely with the then Governor of Borno State, Onyeama ensured that the Coalition of Northern Groups’ Kaduna Declaration against Igbos, leading to the clash with IPOB, was withdrawn and peace reigned in the end.

It therefore smacks of grand conspiracy to see how the man is being pushed and pulled in many directions with accusations yet to be confirmed by any court of competent jurisdiction in his fatherland, much less that of the United States. We noticed how the narrative is being spread to the media, to achieve a desired end.

Fresh in the memory of majority of Nigerians today is how since 2013 Onyeama has committed a large chunk of his legitimate business profit to help communities ravaged by natural disasters or communal conflicts.

Even at a very critical stage during the most heinous xenophobic attack of Nigerians in South Africa and the attendant diplomatic row between our country and South Africa, only Onyeama came forward with a huge budget for evacuating Nigerian victims from that country.

It is on record that Onyeama’s multiple investments in Nigeria have been helpful not only as window of job opportunities for Nigerians but also as a classical example of Corporate Social Responsibility.

In view of the suspicious nature of this case that betrays a conspiracy by his suspected Nigerian business rivals and their American collaborators, we wish to state as follows:

Much as Nigerians will not object to a legal action by any court in the world, we will never ever fold our arms and watch hopelessly as one of our finest is being pulled down in broad daylight.

We would like to draw the attention of his Nigerians rivals that we suspect are working hand-in-hand with their American partners, that we will follow every legitimate legal means of defending one of the most exemplary Nigerian investors that we have in Mr. Onyeama.

We call on fellow civil society organizations in the country to rise up to this new judicial brigandage designed to destroy our son of the soil in a foreign land.

This is indeed the time to tell the whole world, including United States officials holding Onyeama, that enough of this harassment scheme against successful Nigerian investors.

We make bold to say that at this crucial moment in the history of our beloved country what we need is more of Allen Onyeama. And we are determined to promote the emergence of Nigerian investors who have great sympathy for the poor and all those facing extraordinary life’s difficulties.

It is our conviction that the Air Peace CEO is an exemplary silver-lining not only in Nigeria but on the continent.

NEWS
Quote:
Allen Onyema: How I Made My Money To Start Air Peace 

When the news broke over the weekend that Allen Onyema had been indicted in the United States for multi-million dollar fraud, a question that echoed amongst Nigerians was how he moved from relative obscurity to become one of the biggest players in Nigeria’s aviation sector in just about half a decade.

Some commentators said the indictment buttressed their suspicion that Mr Onyema might be a fraudster like many Nigerian businessmen with unexplained wealth; while others rehashed old claims that he has been fronting for unscrupulous politicians who cornered public funds and invested the same through him.

Mr Onyema established Air Peace Limited in 2013, and by the end of 2018, it had gained the largest share in Nigeria’s domestic air travel, according to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

The airline also recorded tremendous breakthrough in foreign travels, flying to more countries in Asia, Europe and Africa than any other Nigerian commercial flights operator.

Earlier this year, the company announced it was expanding both its fleet and destinations, which would include Atlanta and Houston, and effectively asserted its place as a blue-chip entity in the Nigerian aviation industry.

A daunting indictment

But all that came raised more suspicion with the allegation Friday that the man behind the thriving airline had been involved in multiple layers of sharp practices spanning several years in the United States.

The U.S. Department of Justice said Mr Onyema was indicted by a grand jury on several counts of criminal charges bordering on identity theft, bank fraud and money laundering. Facing the charges alongside him is Ejiroghene Eghagha, Air Peace’s head of finance and administration.

The full indictment narrated how Mr Onyema, aided by his alleged accomplice Ms Eghagha, allegedly raised several letters of credit to buy the same planes he had already purchased and added to Air Peace’s fleet of commercial airliners in Nigeria.

Based on the dubious letters of credit, American banking giant Wells Fargo transferred more than $21 million to bank accounts of U.S.-based Springfield Aviation, a suspected shell company registered and controlled by Mr Onyema. Wells Fargo paid the money to Mr Onyema in a series of transactions between February 10, 2017 and February 20, 2018, court documents said.

Within hours after the indictment was made public, Mr Onyema released a statement pushing back strongly against the charges. He said he would vigorously defend his honour in court, but did not indicate whether or not he would be heading to the United States soon.

Based on the charges, American prosecutors have secured court warrants for the arrest of Messrs Onyema and Eghagha in the United States. Corresponding warrants have also been issued for Canadian authorities to detain both suspects should either or both of them be found there.

Financing Air Peace

Although a large section of Nigerian social media already expressed doubts about the veracity of American charges against Mr Onyema even before his rebuttal Saturday morning, many others withheld their support for the businessman because they felt the source of his wealth, especially how he acquired Air Peace, had been shrouded in secrecy.

“It is only in Nigeria that someone can become a billionaire overnight and you cannot unravel how he accumulated his wealth no matter how deep you dig,” business analyst, Osahon Ojigbede, told PREMIUM TIMES. “It is one of the reasons I have been very reluctant to go with those who say we should give Mr Onyema the benefit of the doubt.”

Mr Ojigbede said he was particularly gripped by a section of the indictment which said Mr Onyema established several non-profit organisations to move funds around in a manner typical of money laundering.

“Since he has said he would clear his name in court, I look forward to seeing how he plans to address charges of drafting fake purchase documents and using proceeds of non-profits to directly fund commercial businesses,” Mr Ojigbede said.

American authorities said Mr Onyema used about $3 million from his NGOs, including Foundation for Ethnic Harmony, International Centre for Non-Violence and Peace Development, All-Time Peace Media Communications Limited and Every Child Limited, to buy planes for Air Peace.

PREMIUM TIMES reached out repeatedly to Mr Onyema in the wake of the allegations, but he has yet to agree to be interviewed.

However, he briefly addressed how he raised funds to start Air Peace in an April 2017 interview with City People, an entertainment weekly based in Lagos.

In the interview, Mr Onyema expressed his ‘irritation’ about a perennial rumour that he had been fronting for Patience Jonathan in operating Air Peace, saying he had “never met” the former Nigerian First Lady in his life.

He said he grew up in Warri, but moved to Lagos shortly after graduating from the University of Ibadan and becoming a lawyer in 1989. When he moved to Lagos in 1990, he initially joined a law firm, where he worked for a few years before going into real estate.

It was in real estate that he said he became fortunate from selling lands in Lekki and other priced areas in the Nigerian commercial capital.

“By 2008, I was receiving about 18 per cent interest on my deposits. I was building estates from interest alone,” he told City People.

He said it was in 2008 that he discussed launching Air Peace with his wife, and getting a licence for the airline took several years with exhaustive efforts.

“I brought my finances into it (Air Peace) while getting support from the banks too,” Mr Onyema told the magazine.

“When I had gone halfway with the acquisition of my aircraft, I discovered that it was more than I thought. So I borrowed money from the banks.

“Fidelity Bank is there for anyone who cares to see. I pay the bank daily from sales. It is automatic,” Mr Onyema said.

Since then, Mr Onyema said Air Peace has become so successful that commercial banks can no longer pass on any opportunity to do business with it, even as he emphasised that the company was whole owned by him.

“I have integrity and every bank that knows my pedigree like Fidelity would readily do business with me,” Mr Onyema said. “I equally borrowed from Zenith but not as much as I did with Fidelity. This is how I set up my airline. For the record, I own Air Peace 100 per cent.”

In another interview with the Vanguard last October, Mr Onyema said Air Peace had a staff strength of 3,000, out of which about 2,000 are women. He spoke glowingly of the dedication of women on his staff, especially top officials like Ms Eghagha whose intelligence and energy he said keep the company flourishing.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/365090-how-i-made-my-fortune-to-start-air-peace-onyema.html

[Image: 10630102_images2_jpeg_jpegeaa7b646bbf3e8...a3f797497c]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to invest in cryptocurrency with little capital and really make money on it? Emmbra 1 766 09-02-2022, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Emmbra
  How Afghanistan Fell After Obasanjo Attended Peace Meeting In Kabul Edoman 0 782 08-21-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Edoman
  See the alleged state of a General Hospital in Zamfara State (photos) Edoman 0 804 08-19-2021, 09:40 PM
  Edwin Clark: Using Southern Oil Money For Exploration In The North Is Fraudulent Edoman 0 815 08-17-2021, 07:12 AM
  Court convicts son, mother and girlfriend for $902,935 internet fraud in Asaba Edoman 0 686 07-23-2021, 09:50 PM
  EFCC raids Lagos hotel, arrests 30 people for alleged fraud Edoman 0 686 07-14-2021, 11:52 AM
  You’re president to protect Nigerians, not just borrowing money – Wike mocks Buhari Edoman 0 810 06-15-2021, 11:15 PM
  $65m Fraud: Gimba Yau Kumo Is No Longer An In-law To Buhari – Presidency Edoman 0 815 05-15-2021, 07:28 AM