The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 783 - File: global.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 783 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 16 - File: global.php(844) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(844) : eval()'d code 16 errorHandler->error
/global.php 844 eval
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Forums
Sports update - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://contripeople.com)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (http://contripeople.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://contripeople.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Sports update (/showthread.php?tid=42136)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-19-2021

Mourinho 'concerned' by Tottenham players ignoring his instructions

18/03/2021

[Image: jose-mourinho-cropped_1bcgi515zxzk41bkvo...uality=100]Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho

Jose Mourinho admits he is concerned his Tottenham players are not taking his tactical instructions on board following their shock Europa League exit at the hands of Dinamo Zagreb.

Tottenham led 2-0 heading into Thursday's second leg at Stadion Maksimir, but Mislav Orsic's hat-trick – the third goal coming in extra time – sent Croatian champions Zagreb through 3-2 on aggregate.

The loss means Spurs are the first English side to take a two-goal lead into the second leg of a European knockout tie and fail to progress since Manchester City versus Monaco in the Champions League last-16 five seasons ago.

Mourinho's side were out-shot by managerless Zagreb (21 attempts to 18) and showed less attacking intent than their opponents, but the Spurs boss insists he set his side out to win the second leg. 

"I believe that by surprise we were not caught, because before the game I told the players to play to win," he said at his post-match news conference.

"I told the players to refuse a feeling of if we draw or if we lose 1-0 or 2-1 it's ok. 
"I told the players don't trust, don't go in that direction. Play the game to be dominant, play the game to win. At half-time even with the result 0-0, I told the players don't trust it, don't do it. 

"If they score a goal, I told them minute 75, 80, 85, the game is open and then they will believe. So by surprise the players were not caught. So it was not a surprise."

It is only the third time Mourinho has lost a match in European competition by a three-goal margin, two of those coming with Spurs, and another with Real Madrid.
Mourinho called out his players on the back of last weekend's derby defeat to Arsenal and, asked if he is concerned they are not applying his instructions, he said: "Of course it concerns me. 

"We worked very hard, we tried to provide the best conditions for the players to perform. So of course it concerns me.
"My position as a head coach is the position that stops me, or at least makes me uncomfortable to come in front of the cameras and go deep in analysis. I hope you can understand that.
"I believe all of us have to be humble enough to accept any criticism that you can make of our work. It is not for me to go on that."

The remarkable collapse will only increase the scrutiny on Mourinho, who has seen his side lose half of their last 16 matches, and in another swipe at his squad, he praised the character shown by Zagreb.

"Dinamo's attitude I believe is humble, is desire, is motivation, is pride, to prove to themselves that they have talent, even to the world football market that they have quality," he said.

"They played with a lot of desire. I can call it also professionalism because for me professionalism starts exactly in the attitude. To be a professional you must have attitude every day and in every minute of every game.

"Then more talent, less talent makes a difference between players but what is never negotiable is attitude and they beat us on attitude."

Match-winner Orsic became the first player to score a hat-trick for Dinamo against an English side in a major European competition, but Mourinho feels each goal could have been avoided had his players listened.

"The first thing I tell you, which you can believe or not believe, is that my players watch and watch and watch Orsic actions during his career," he said.

"We prepared with analysts clips of the qualities of every player and the goals that Orsic scored I saw them all, I watched them all and my players watched them all. 

"That is the only thing I can say. I prepared my players to play against Orsic, I gave them all information to play against him and that is the only thing I can say.  Congratulations to him because it is a great night for him."

UEFA Champions League Quarter final draw revealed: Real Madrid vs Liverpool, Porto vs Chelsea

[Image: 60548a1b0a81b.jpg]

The draw for the UEFA Champions League Quarter final has been revealed. 

Premiership club, Chelsea will take on Porto, while Liverpool will face Real Madrid. Manchester City will also take on Borrusia Dortmund in a bid to advance to the next stage. 

Current champions, Bayern Munich will take on French giants, Paris Saint-Germain F.C.

See full draw below. 

[Image: 60548a2f849fa.jpg]

[Image: icon_share.png]CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL PAIRINGS.

[Image: 13281865_screenshot20210319122924466_jpe...e644ad4338]

Europa League semi-finals draw released [Full fixtures]

on
 March 19, 2021

[Image: Europa-League.jpg.webp]

The draw for this season’s UEFA Europa League semi-finals has been confirmed.

The draw, which was streamed on the UEFA website, was released on Friday afternoon in Nyon, Switzerland.

The first-leg and second-leg will take place after the conclusion of the last-8 in April.

The finals will take place on May 26.
Below is the Europa League last-4 draw in full:

Granada/Manchester United vs Ajax/Roma
Dinamo Zagreb/Villarreal vs Arsenal/Slavia Praha

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-20-2021

EPL: Tottenham to pay Mourinho £25m to leave

on
 March 20, 2021

[Image: rwDHxRuA.jpeg.webp]

It would cost Tottenham Hotspur £25 million to sack Jose Mourinho, as they would have to pay up the remaining two years of his contract, the UK Mirror reports.

Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, is expected to give Mourinho a stay of execution to see if he can deliver their first trophy since 2008 in next month’s Carabao Cup final and a top-four finish.
But with fans openly revolting against the Portuguese’s defensive tactics after their shock Europa League exit at Dinamo Zagreb, he has almost run out of time.

Mourinho who earns in excess of £12m-a-year, gave his players the silent treatment after the stunning defeat in Croatia.

He claimed a change of attitude was required to save their season.
“I have this very bad feeling because maybe for some people, football is a job or a way to make money,” Mourinho said.

I will make the right changes at the right time – Abramovich warns Tuchel

on
 March 20, 2021

[Image: tulch.jpg.webp]

Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has made it clear that his policy is to make managerial changes at the right time.

Abramovich stated this in a rare interview with Forbes Magazine.
The Russian billionaire risked the wrath of Blues’ fans when he sacked club legend, Frank Lampard in January.
But his replacement, Thomas Tuchel is unbeaten in his first 13 games, into the quarter-finals of the Champions League and preparing for Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Sheffield United.

Tuchel has reportedly been given a target to finish in the top four this season.

And Abramovich has reiterated his objectives at the helm of Chelsea.

“I think we are pragmatic in our choices. And we are comfortable making the right changes at the right time to ensure we can achieve our long-term ambitions.

“I hope it also says something about the clarity of the long-term ambition of the club. Those who join understand the objectives both on the pitch, as well as the wider positive role the club plays in the community,” Abramovich said.

Real Madrid to pay ‘symbolic price’ to bring Ronaldo back from Juventus
on
 March 20, 2021

[Image: 9WLHuiCH.jpeg.webp]

Real Madrid would only pay a “symbolic price” to bring Cristiano Ronaldo back from Juventus, according to Cuatro.

Ronaldo himself is also determined to re-sign for the LaLiga giants this summer and has reportedly instructed his agents to open talks with the LaLiga club.

The 36-year-old left the Santiago Bernabeu in 2018 to join Juventus in a £100m deal.

Juve brought in Ronaldo, in a bid to end their wait for a fourth Champions League trophy, but the Serie A club have been knocked out before the semi-finals in each of the Portuguese’s three seasons at the club.

Madrid would be willing to take him on a one-year deal for financial reasons.

They will also offer a small fee to Juventus, although they would be happy to trade a player, such as Isco, to sweeten the bargain.

Quote:Cristiano Ronaldo Named Serie A Player Of The Year Again

MILAN — Cristiano Ronaldo was named the Italian league player of the year on Friday for the second successive time.

Ronaldo won the prize in 2019 after his debut season at Juventus. The awards did not take place last year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ronaldo scored 31 goals in 33 league matches last season and helped Juventus to a record-extending ninth successive Serie A title.

“At the beginning it was hard to play in empty stadiums, but the aim was to win, and we did it,” the 36-year-old Ronaldo said.

“I am happy and lucky. Persistence, confidence, work ethic, passion — those are all the secrets that allow me to keep playing. I feel motivated and you have to be every year, otherwise you won’t manage to win at 34, 35, 36 or 40 years old.”

Juventus forward Cristiana Girelli received the best female player award.

Atalanta’s Gian Piero Gasperini took home the coach prize and his side was team of the year. Atalanta finished third in Serie A for the second straight season and also reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League.

The Gran Gala del Calcio awards, which are voted for by a mix of footballers, coaches, referees and journalists, are normally presented at a glittering ceremony. Amid the ongoing pandemic, they were presented in a televised show.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cristiano-ronaldo-named-serie-player-year/sn-amp/

[Image: 13285736_ew3vl7vxeaaqza1_jpeg_jpeg24b2ee...dc895e4fc5]
[Image: 13285737_ew3a1i9xeaia0lz_jpeg_jpegfb5ee9...2b43c02488]

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-21-2021

Leiester 3 - 1 Man Utd: Kelechi Iheanacho's double sends Manchester United 1out of FA Cup

[Image: 6057a23b2d6e4.jpg]

Leicester City have now qualified for the FA cup semi-final and will play Southampton for a place in the FA Cup final after a Kelechi Iheanacho brace helped the Foxes to a 3-1 win over Manchester United at the King Power Stadium on Sunday night, March 21.

Leicester, clearly the better side mesmerized Manchester United with their intense pressing style from the beginning.

Fred starting alongside a below par Matic, played a ball straight to Iheanacho in the box in the first half to which the Nigerian calmly grabbed and opened the scoring.

Despite United failing to click throughout the opening period, they equalized towards half time through Mason Greenwood’s tidy finish after good work from Paul Pogba and Van Der Beek down the left.

In the second half, United's midfield just watched Youri Tielemans stroll past them and slot a superb finish beyond goalkeeper Dean Henderson.

[Image: 6057a2710095b.jpg]

United brought in star player Bruno Fernandes, Edison Cavani and Luke Shaw and maintained some pressure, but it was to no avail as Iheanacho's back-post header sealed the game with barely minutes to go.

[Image: 6057a29e534fa.jpg]

The semi-final against Southampton will be held at Wembley on the weekend of April 17-18.

[Image: icon_share.png]

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-22-2021

Quote:AFCON Qualifiers: Musa, Troost-Ekong, Etebo, Aina, Ajayi, Onyekuru Arrive Camp 

Yes!!! We're in camp now...players and officials already breezing in. Early arrivals: @WTroostEkong @Aina2Ola @SemiAjayi & skipper @Ahmedmusa718 #SoarSuperEagles #Team9jaStrong

Our camp is swelling. @etebo_karo and @henryconyekuru have joined now. #SoarSuperEagles #Team9jaStrong

https://twitter.com/NGSuperEagles/status/1373733476994781184?s=19

The players are captain Ahmed Musa, William Troost-Ekong, Ola Aina, Semi Ajayi, Oghenekaro Etebo, and Henry Onyekuru.

The Super Eagles are camping in Eko Hotels, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The Eagles play Benin Republic on March 27 in Porto Novo, before hosting Lesotho three days later at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos.

Nigeria lead Group L table of the qualifiers with eight points and at least a point from both games would seal their place at the Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon next year.

[Image: 13292933_img20210322000059_jpeg928c1461e...9ea3365e48]
[Image: 13292934_img20210322000046_jpeg4af623c1a...40e1680d0f]

Cristiano Ronaldo presented with special 'G.O.A.T' shirt after scoring his 770th goal to break Pele's all-time record of official goals

[Image: 6058402d700f2.jpg]

Cristiano Ronaldo was presented with a special commemorative shirt for breaking Brazil legend Pele's official goalscoring record of 767 goals.

The Juventus and Portuguese superstar overtook the Brazilian's total last weekend by netting a hat-trick in his side's 3-1 victory Cagliari to take his own tally to 770 goals. 

Before the Old Lady's Serie A fixture with Benevento on Sunday March 21, which they lost 1 - 0 at home, Ronaldo was handed a shirt with 'G.O.A.T 770' on the back, claiming that the Portuguese forward is the 'Greatest Of All Time'.

The presentation was done by Juventus president Andrea Agnelli. 

[Image: 605840482370e.jpg]

On achieving the milestone in his career, Ronaldo wrote on Instagram: 'Today, as I reach the 770th official goal in my professional career, my first words go straight to Pele. 

'There's no player in the world who hasn't been raised listening to stories about his games, his goals and his achievements, and I'm no exception.

'And for that reason, I'm filled with joy and pride as I acknowledge the goal that puts me on top of the world's goalscoring list, overcoming Pele's record, something that I could never have dreamed of while growing up as a child from Madeira.'

Pele responded to Ronaldo's comments, posting: 'Congratulations on breaking my record of goals in official matches.

'I admire you a lot, I love watching you play and this is no secret to anyone. My only regret is not being able to give you a hug today.'

Ronaldo's tally of goals includes 668 at club level, including 188 for Manchester United and 450 for Real Madrid, while he has also scored 120 goals at the international level for Portugal. 

BREAKDOWN OF CRISTIANO RONALDO'S GOALS 
Right foot - 491
?Left foot - 143 
?Headers - 134
O?thers - 2 

Footballer, Dele Alli joins dating app after being dumped by his girlfriend of five years, Ruby Mae

[Image: 60587b03839e1.jpg]

Tottenham and England midfielder, Dele Alli is reportedly looking for love on celebrity dating app, Raya, after being 'dumped' by his model girlfriend, Ruby Mae

The 24-year-old born to a Nigerian father, Kehinde Alli, a multi-millionaire businessman and British mother, Denise, is said to be 'gutted' after his girlfriend of five-years, 25, decided to end things, prompting his decision to join the exclusive platform used by the likes of Cara Delevingne, Adele, and Ben Affleck, Daily Mail reports. 

In his Raya cover photo, Dele is pictured posing in a navy suit and grey tie while sipping on a beverage.   

[Image: 605879f556521.jpg]

Speaking of his love life, a pal said to The Sun: 'Dele’s still gutted about the break-up with Ruby but knows he’s got to look to the future.

'His pride was dented but now he is open about starting a relationship with the right person.'

In February, Dele and his model girlfriend split up after the pair kept getting into blazing rows, insiders claimed.  

Ruby was reportedly left 'incensed' over his behaviour and is understood to have 'packed up her things' and moved out of their £2million mansion. They also no longer follow each other on social media.  

A source said to the publication: 'Their relationship has been turbulent, but it now feels very much like the end.'

[Image: 60587b806b475.jpg]

Borussia Dortmund beats Manchester United and Barcelona to sign PSG defender, Soumaila Coulibaly

[Image: 6058a1878d971.jpg]

Borussia Dortmund have won the race to sign Paris Saint-Germain defender, Soumaila Coulibaly.

The France youth international, 17, who is represented by Portugal-based sports agency - Epic Sports, has agreed on a pre-contract deal to join the German club in the summer on a free transfer when his contract at PSG expires.

Manchester United, Barcelona, and Juventus were among the clubs willing to sign Coulibaly, but Dortmund moved smartly in the transfer market to land one of the best young talents in Europe for next season.

"It was nice to have so much interest from so many clubs, but I cannot wait to get started with Dortmund," Coulibaly explained.

"They are a great club with a proven track record of developing some of the best young talents in the world and I aim to do my best for the club and fans.

"I am thankful to my agents [Epic Sports] for helping me in making this move to Dortmund and also to Paris Saint-Germain where I have learnt so much already in my career."

Kelechi Iheanancho equals Didier Drogba's goal record for highest-scoring African in FA Cup 

[Image: 6058c5d468b5d.jpg]

Super Eagles of Nigeria and Leicester City striker, Kelechi Iheanancho has equaled the record set by Ivorian football legend Didier Drogba for the most goals scored by an African player in the FA Cup.

Drogba scored 12 goals in the competition before leaving Chelsea in 2012.

On Sunday, March 21, Iheanacho netted twice in the FA Cup fixture against Manchester United at the King Power Stadium to take his goal tally in the competition to 12.

His first goal came in the 24th minute of the game before he scored the second in the 78th minute.

[Image: 6058c5f61ca6e.jpg]

“I’m delighted for Kelechi,” said Leicester coach Brendan Rodgers. “I see improvement in him and, day by day, he trains so hard.”

The former Manchester City star will be hoping to officially break the record when they face Southampton in the semi-final of the FA Cup.

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-23-2021

Troost-Ekong, Etebo, Ajayi, Iwobi, Musa arrive Super Eagles camp in Lagos ahead of Benin and Lesotho games

[Image: 605903d692aa4.jpeg]

Watford defender William Troost-Ekong, Fulham right-back Ola Aina, West Bromwich Albion’s Semi Ajayi and Ahmed Musa were among the first set of Super Eagles players to arrive the Lagos camp today, March 22, ahead of their Africa Cup of Nations qualifying games against Benin and Lesotho.

The three-time African champions are scheduled to play Benin at the Charles de Gaulle Stadium on March 27 before hosting Lesotho at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, on the 30th.

Troost-Ekong first arrived on Sunday night while Aina and Ajayi followed.
Shortly after the trio's arrival from England, Galatasaray players Henry Onyekuru and Oghenekaro Etebo landed in Lagos.

Super Eagles captain Musa, who has been a free agent since he left Saudi Professional League club Al Nassr in October is also already in Lagos.

[Image: 6059032699644.png]

Other players to arrive camp late Monday night include Ebuehi and Alex Iwobi.

From the local Nigerian league, Abia Warriors defender Adeleke Adekunle, Enyimba striker Anayo Iwuala, and goalkeeper John Noble joined Gernot Rohr’s squad on Monday.

A win for Nigeria in either of the matches will be enough to grant them qualification for the Afcon tournament for the 19th time as they currently lead Group L with eight points after four matches while Benin trail them by one point.

Afcon Qualifiers: Gernot Rohr responds after receiving criticism for calling up Ahmed Musa who has been clubless since October

[Image: 605908afaaaed.jpg]

Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr has responded to criticism he received after calling up Ahmed Musa to the Super Eagles squad despite not playing competitive club football since October.

Musa is yet to find a new club since he left Saudi Professional League club Al Nassr in October 2020 and he has not played a competitive match since he featured in the Super Eagles’ 4-4 draw against Sierra Leone on November 13.

Earlier this year, Musa was close to returning to the Premier League but his late move to West Bromwich Albion broke down due to lack of funds.

Rohr says Musa is still the team captain and he will only train but won't play in the upcoming Games against Benin and Lesotho.

“Musa is our captain, and he is a part of the team though he won’t play because he has not been active, but we want to assist him to train and he will also help our team as we prepare for these two important matches,” Rohr told the Caf website.

Rohr disclosed he is anticipating tough games in Porto Novo against the Squirrels and in Lagos against Lesotho on March 27 and 30 respectively despite Nigeria leading the Group L qualifying group with eight points after four matches while Benin trail in second place with seven points

“We want to finish our qualification on a positive note, and the two matches against Benin and Lesotho are very important,” he continued.

“Of course, we know that Benin is difficult to beat after our last game in Uyo (Nigeria won 2-1) and we need at least a point against them to qualify for next year’s Afcon.

“Then, we are playing our final game in Lagos. We want to win in Lagos because it has been a long time since we last played there, and we want to conclude the qualifiers with a victory as well.

“These are not going to be easy matches because Lesotho drew with Benin, but we are going to give our best against these opponents.”

Solskjaer sent sack warning after Man Utd crash out of FA Cup

on
 March 22, 2021

[Image: Danny-Murphy.jpg.webp]

Former Liverpool midfielder, Danny Murphy, has warned Ole Gunnar Solskjaer he could be sacked as Manchester United, if he doesn’t win a trophy this season.

Solskjaer watched on as the Red Devils crashed out of the FA Cup on Sunday, thanks to a 3-1 defeat at Leicester City.
United have already been knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages this season and the Carabao Cup semi-finals by rivals Manchester City.

Murphy now feels Solskjaer keeping his job, might depend on him winning the Europa League.

“They can’t be blaming tiredness for a loss at Leicester in the FA Cup and their squad not being strong enough,” Murphy told talkSPORT .

“United competing in the Europa League is not good enough, first and foremost, the fans know that, the club know that and Ole knows that.
“Not progressing in the Champions League was a massive, massive blow for them. Yes, they’re going to get in the top four… but so they damn should!

“He’s in a position for me where the Europa League, for me, has become monumental for him and the club.”

'I can't apologise' - Chelsea icon, John Obi Mikel says he won't say sorry to ex- Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg over 2012 racism row

[Image: 6059ccd04bdc3.jpg]
Former Nigerian international and Chelsea icon, John Obi Mikel has said he won't apologize to ex-Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg over the 2012 racisI October 2012, Mikel's former team-mate Ramires claimed he heard Clattenburg say 'shut up you monkey' to Mikel in Chelsea's 3-2 defeat by Manchester United at Stamford Bridge in the Premier Lea
[Image: 6059ccecee73a.jpg]

Because of the allegations, Clattenburg missed four weekends of Premier League matches before he was cleared by the Football Association, while the police also dropped their own inquiry. 

Chelsea accepted the findings and said the club regretted the impact the saga had on Clattenburg.

Speaking to The Athletic in a recent interview, Mikel said it's not in his place to apologise to Clattenburg because it was Ramires who made the claims to him. 

[Image: 6059ccfee39c0.jpg]

'In the heat of the game, players go through emotions,' Mikel said. 'Your colleague said they heard something, but they may not have heard right. Did he say it or not? I didn't know. 

'But if your colleague comes up to you, of course you're going to trust what they say, someone you see and speak to every day.

'So I can't apologise for something that my colleague said he (Clattenburg) did.'

Ramires was the only player on the pitch who claimed to have heard the abuse and the FA said that the complaint was made in good faith.

[Image: 6059cd0eac223.jpg]

Mikel explained that after speaking to Ramires, he was left furious and went after Clattenburg in the tunnel at Stamford Bridge.

'I lost it. I was so angry,' Mikel said. 'We’d lost the game as well. There were a few decisions he’d given that cost us the game. Everything just boiled up. That was it. 

'I wanted to confront him, find out if he did say that word. I wasn’t really allowed to speak to him, he didn’t want to.

'It was crazy in the tunnel. I don’t think anyone at the club had seen me like that before. I had lots of people trying to hold me back… the players, the club. Everyone came out. It was a case of, "try and stop me". I wanted to break down that door to the referee’s room and ask him questions. I was livid.'

The FA investigation, upon clearing Clattenburg, charged Mikel with misconduct. He was banned for three matches and fined £60,000.

In a statement given after he was cleared, Clattenburg said: 'I am looking forward to putting this behind me and concentrating on refereeing in the Premier League and other competitions.

'The messages of encouragement from those inside and outside of the game have helped me through the most stressful time of my professional life.

'To know you were innocent of something but that there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening.'

Meanwhile, Mikel Obi currently plays for Championship side Stoke, who are 11th in the league. 
[Image: icon_share.png]'I can't apologise' - Chelsea icon, John Obi Mikel says he won't say sorry to ex- Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg over 2012 racism row

[Image: 6059ccd04bdc3.jpg]

Former Nigerian international and Chelsea icon, John Obi Mikel has said he won't apologize to ex-Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg over the 2012 racism row.

In October 2012, Mikel's former team-mate Ramires claimed he heard Clattenburg say 'shut up you monkey' to Mikel in Chelsea's 3-2 defeat by Manchester United at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League. 

[Image: 6059ccecee73a.jpg]

Because of the allegations, Clattenburg missed four weekends of Premier League matches before he was cleared by the Football Association, while the police also dropped their own inquiry. 

Chelsea accepted the findings and said the club regretted the impact the saga had on Clattenburg.

Speaking to The Athletic in a recent interview, Mikel said it's not in his place to apologise to Clattenburg because it was Ramires who made the claims to him. 

[Image: 6059ccfee39c0.jpg]

'In the heat of the game, players go through emotions,' Mikel said. 'Your colleague said they heard something, but they may not have heard right. Did he say it or not? I didn't know. 

'But if your colleague comes up to you, of course you're going to trust what they say, someone you see and speak to every day.

'So I can't apologise for something that my colleague said he (Clattenburg) did.'

Ramires was the only player on the pitch who claimed to have heard the abuse and the FA said that the complaint was made in good faith.

[Image: 6059cd0eac223.jpg]

Mikel explained that after speaking to Ramires, he was left furious and went after Clattenburg in the tunnel at Stamford Bridge.

'I lost it. I was so angry,' Mikel said. 'We’d lost the game as well. There were a few decisions he’d given that cost us the game. Everything just boiled up. That was it. 

'I wanted to confront him, find out if he did say that word. I wasn’t really allowed to speak to him, he didn’t want to.

'It was crazy in the tunnel. I don’t think anyone at the club had seen me like that before. I had lots of people trying to hold me back… the players, the club. Everyone came out. It was a case of, "try and stop me". I wanted to break down that door to the referee’s room and ask him questions. I was livid.'

The FA investigation, upon clearing Clattenburg, charged Mikel with misconduct. He was banned for three matches and fined £60,000.

In a statement given after he was cleared, Clattenburg said: 'I am looking forward to putting this behind me and concentrating on refereeing in the Premier League and other competitions.

'The messages of encouragement from those inside and outside of the game have helped me through the most stressful time of my professional life.

'To know you were innocent of something but that there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening.'

Meanwhile, Mikel Obi currently plays for Championship side Stoke, who are 11th in the league. 

Bayer Leverkusen sack coach Peter Bosz following poor run of four defeats in five games

[Image: 605a015e8deb3.jpg]

???Bayer Leverkusen has sacked coach Peter Bosz after a poor run of results left them sixth in the Bundesliga.

His departure comes after Sunday's 3-0 defeat at Hertha Berlin, Leverkusen's fourth loss in their last five games in all competitions.

Bayern Leverkusen have 40 points after 26 games, seven points behind fourth-placed Eintracht Frankfurt and the Champions League qualifying places.

Hannes Wolf, who was in charge of Germany's Under-18 side, will replace Bosz, while former Leverkusen midfielder Peter Hermann has been appointed assistant coach.

'Bayer 04 Leverkusen have reacted to the negative trend of the past few weeks and released head coach Peter Bosz with immediate effect,' the club said in a statement.

'Given the developments on the pitch over recent weeks, we have come to the conclusion we can no longer avoid parting company with Peter Bosz,' sporting managing director Rudi Voller added.

'The 3-0 defeat at Hertha Berlin on Sunday was unfortunately indicative with our team again and again falling into the same pattern. 

'We have not managed to stop making repetitive mistakes and get back to winning ways. 

'After an objective and very open analysis of the sporting situation we have therefore agreed to make the break in spite of our great appreciation for Peter Bosz.'

Leverkusen added that Bosz's assistants Hendrie Kruezen and Rob Maas had also left the club.

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-24-2021

He made me train on my own for months' - Mikel Obi reveals how Antonio Conte ended his Chelsea career because he represented Nigeria at the Olympics

[Image: 605ae8ee64170.jpg]

Footballer, Mikel John Obi, has spoken out about how manager Antonio Conte ended his career at Chelsea because he chose to represent Nigeria at the 2016 Olympics.

Mikel Obi, who stayed at Chelsea for 11 years after arriving as a teenager in 2005, says he had the opportunity to represent Nigeria at the 2016 Rio Olympics but was warned by Conte who had just arrived at Stamford Bridge in 2016,  that he would not be part of his plans if he decides to represent Nigeria at the Olympics.

Mikel, said he snubbed Conte's threats and went to the Rio Olympics, helping Nigeria win a bronze medal and in the process, permanently damaging his relationship with the Italian coach.

[Image: 605ae1850aba3.jpeg]

“I had been called up by my national team to play and it was a dream,” Mikel, 33, told The Athletic.

“It’s a dream for anyone to go to the Olympics. Yes, as players we want to win the Champions League and the World Cup, but the Olympics is a massive tournament."

“This guy [Conte] who has just walked in the door for five minutes is telling me I had to choose.

"He was saying, ‘If you do that, you won’t be a part of this team’. I spoke to the club and told them that I wanted to go. The club respected me because of what I had done for them and how long I’d been there.

"So off I went and I felt punished for that. I came back and I didn’t make the squad. I was never in the squad list on matchdays again.

“The funny thing is, just before the January window was going to start, he came up to me and said ‘I want a meeting with you’. This was after making me train on my own for months, treating a player who had been at Chelsea for a long time like this!

“When he tried to meet with me he was like, ‘Let’s try and make up, I will need you in the team, let’s squash this, blah, blah, blah!’. I was like, ‘Are you joking?! Are you f*cking serious?!’ He knew I wanted out. I stood up and walked out of the room. You can’t disrespect a human being like that.

“I couldn’t wait for the window to open to get out. I was talking to the hierarchy and explaining that I would definitely have to go. They agreed, they understood.”

After the bust up, Mikel within months went to China on a free transfer joining Tianjin Teda. 

He spent two seasons with the club before returning to England with Middlesbrough. He then joined Turkish outfit Trabzonspor in 2019 but left months later after being forced to play football despite the Coronavirus pandemic.

Mikel then signed a one year deal with Stoke City in August 2020 and has been a key figure for the club, starting 28 games in the Championship. 

RE: Sports update - Edoman - 03-24-2021

Super Eagles First Training Session In Teslim Balogun Stadium(video) 

The super Eagles had their first training session at the teslim Balogun stadium on the 23th of March 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjEh6TN6-L8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4A-o4fxBnI

Nigeria's largest city Lagos will host a competitive men's senior football match for the first time in 20 years on 30 March.

The Super Eagles will take on Lesotho in their final 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier at the Teslim Balogun stadium.
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) officials say that the number of fans allowed in to the stadium to watch the match depends on the Confederation of African Football's Covid-19 protocols at the time.

The last competitive game Nigeria played in Lagos was a 1-0 Nations Cup qualifying win over Zambia in January 2001, while 10 years later there was a 2-1 friendly win over Sierra Leone at the Teslim Balogun venue.

March's game could see Lagos once again becoming a permanent home for the Super Eagles according to sports minister Sunday Dare who is keen to refurbish the dilapidated National Stadium in Lagos.
"This city is excited to host the country's first competitive fixture in 20 years in a place where the team rarely lose," chairman of the Lagos State Sports commission, Sola Aiyepeku, told BBC Sport Africa

"Everything is geared towards making Lagos the home base again, because there's a presence that this place has and demand that the fans have towards the opposition that puts them in fear.
"We want the Nigeria fear factor that this city has to return and put that in the hearts and souls of teams that come here."

The city is also confident that it can put in all the necessary measures for the game despite the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic.
"It's an unprecedented time to host the national team but wherever you go there is still the coronavirus, so it will definitely dampen probably the number of people," NFF vice president and Lagos FA boss Seyi Akinwunmi added.
"Despite the huge logistic problems that comes with these challenging times, Lagos state has proven that it can manage the pandemic more than most states in the country.
"The state has all the capacity, the hotels, state of the art ambulances, hospitals and everything which is an added reason for the country to come to Lagos.

"It's been a challenging year for the world in terms of football, but the country's most famous state is delighted to welcome the Eagles back home where they've enjoyed a remarkable success."

The Super Eagles have been playing their internationals around the country since the end of the 20th century when the cash-strapped Nigerian Football Association (now NFF) decided to approach cities interested in hosting international games.
Financial support, usually provided by the governors who host the national team in their states, saw the Eagles move around to Port Harcourt, Abuja, Kano, Cross River, Akwa Ibom and Delta State.

The Abuja and Lagos National Stadiums, as well as dozens of others that dot Nigerian cities, have become white elephants furthering emphasising a sad reminder of Nigeria's poor maintenance culture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/56069339

[Image: 13303946_4c2894f640da4b049308cea42796514...183dfe2ba6]
[Image: 13303947_854b9fa957aa41439d8c5c4edc59ff8...e8249897e4]
[Image: 13303948_406e9cc7ca3946d9a2e95254fd022b7...09757a025f]
[Image: 13303949_ee28ae55015841d89b2b316dc3c9018...5b2bfab833]

[Image: 13303961_2e5219c3a2a349fb8cdd933a94e7d5b...7ceb525f5a]
[Image: 13303962_ce7b90e045d3453daf6ea4527d0c34e...d622e63382]

[Image: 13303981_eeb17532c109469e917149c138695bf...a4be7d6b0a]
[Image: 13303982_c00b8b21919241ca9ffb80e229f27cc...88ef25d090]
[Image: 13303983_0ce486d79aa6470da06a255504c3f7b...68fa4c5e42]